Thursday, September 19, 2013

How much personal information, in general, should you exchange with your students?

This is one aspect that I have struggled with over the course of my teaching career.  I truly believe that if teachers can make connections with students and develop a relationship, they are much more likely to engage the student in whatever topic/subject/activity they are delivering.  In developing a relationship and connection with students, I believe that they need to see and understand that you are a human being and not an immortal, larger-than-life teacher.  So, I feel as though teachers ought to be open and transparent with students because kids can see through phoniness.  Additionally, the research points to the likelihood of success with students (especially high school students) when they make a meaningful connection with a significant adult at the school.  Many students have tremendous issues that they may not feel comfortable going to their parents or counselor or other strange adult.  If there is an adult with whom a student has a connection, they are more likely to approach them to get the needed support. We teach in a profession where we thrive on helping people and I don't believe we have the ability to "turn off" caring for students in need.

HOWEVER, there is a proverbial line in the sand when it comes to sharing your information with students.  Ultimately, we are teachers and are held to a higher standard than many other people in the world.  We have an image to uphold and must strive daily to represent our profession with the utmost respect.  If individuals don't want to be held to a higher standard, I don't believe they should join the teaching profession.  For this reason, I believe teachers can give certain information out to students (possibly a cell number or a work-related Facebook/Twitter profile) where professional conversations can occur.  A teacher should never cross the professional line and the minute that a student crosses the line, the conversation must be documented with an authority (principal, superintendent, police - if necessary).  At the end of the day, we are still the professionals and our relationships with students - on social media and in person, must remain professional at all times.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. Teachers are expected to uphold a professional standard and with the use of technology it can be challenging. Students are more connected to technology than ever before and for many students it is the method of communication and interaction they prefer. Should teachers conform to the method the students prefer or should teachers be encouraging face-to-face communication? I struggle with this and often feel it’s a battle that can’t be won. So, I provide my email address on the course syllabus and tell students, if they need to, email school related questions/comments. Many of my co-workers use Twitter for school related information and have students following them, which concerns me. Teachers are professionals and I fear that with the use of Twitter, Facebook, etc, that it can become more challenging as teachers are more connected. This is a reminder worth sharing; professionalism is our obligation, wherever it may be. Thanks Blair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more, Blair. I have always been extremely careful of what I am sharing online and I have made sure that students cannot access my social media accounts - especially facebook! I always get worried when I see a colleague friending their students as it just doesn't seem right to me. Over the years, I've had several conversations with my students about their "online" selves. We then dive in to the conversation about which professions are "24/7" professions. I don't know about you, but in my teacher education program, we always talked about when you decided you be a teacher, you were a teacher 24/7. You had a professional image to uphold - at all times, not just 9 to 3:30. It is something I have never forgotten.
    Great topic for discussion - thanks for bringing it up!

    ReplyDelete